We all know the importance of sleep, especially for our mental wellbeing. But with the stresses of daily life often keeping us awake, finding time to relax and unwind is more important than ever.
Poor sleep has immediate negative effects on your hormones, exercise performance, and brain function.
Here are my top 5 tips for getting a consistently better nights sleep:
- Regular Aromatherapy Massage: Aromatherapy is a specific type of therapy that incorporates the use of scented essential oils into a massage and can help with your relaxation. (Learn more about ‘The Olive Branch Plymouth’ Aromatherapy Massage treatments here.)
- Increase bright light exposure throughout your day: natural sunlight or bright light during the day helps keep your circadian rhythm healthy. This improves daytime energy, as well as nighttime sleep quality and duration.
- Don’t consume caffeine late in the day: when consumed late in the day, caffeine stimulates your nervous system and may stop your body from naturally relaxing at night.
- Relax and clear your mind in the evening: strategies include listening to relaxing music, reading a book, taking a hot bath, meditating, deep breathing and massage.
- Get into a routine: Try to be rigid about going to bed at a certain time, and create your own relaxation routine.